12/04/2013

Personalised bunting


For E's 5th birthday I made personalised bunting for each guest and this is Eloise's, above.  I was super pleased with the result.

Instead of sewing the flags together I created a a seam at the top of each flag so that a ribbon could be threaded through.  At the beginning of the party everyone was given their first initial.  Then, as a prize after each game, they were given an additional personalised flag so eventually by the end of the party everyone had their full name.  Each child then chose a length of coloured velvet ribbon and we strung the letters together for them to take home.  I stencilled gold star flags for the children that had only 3 or 4 letters in their name so everyone had at least 5 flags.

This was a really easy project and not expensive.  I used plain calico which is about £4pm and then freezer paper to make the letter stencils. The biggest cost was fabric paint but the colours were amazing and the letters came out really bright.  The nicest thing was how pleased the children were with their gift and later earn being told how they have put them on their bedroom doors or above their beds.  

Thank you all so much for your comments on my flat - you were all so lovely and kind.  I'm hoping I'll be able to post about the new house soon too.  

9 comments:

  1. Love the bunting - both my daughters have been given personalised bunting but i particularly like the look of yours as it is so 'clean' looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was a little worried it was too plain to begin with, but then my friend Nicco, who is the Queen of minimalism, loved it and said the same of you. I've got used to it now and love the clean look as you say.

      Delete
  2. I am in awe of your birthday party ideas!!! You are so good at it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou - they're one of my fave things to do, as you know, even though I'm insanely OTT about them!

      Delete
  3. You really are the most creative of ladies. And I can't believe how much time that must have taken - awesome effort. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...they were actually super quick. The hardest part was sewing the seams at the top but the flags and painting was really quick. I think I made them all in 4 evenings and that was over 50 pennants!

      Delete
  4. what a talented lady, love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a brilliant idea, thank you for sharing. I've often wanted to make bunting but am always put off by the country, floral style it always seems to have. Yours is simple and stylish and child friendly. Love the way the ribbon threads through the top. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must depend on your child because I tried others after using honest diapers on my son and they failed us several times. I went right back to honest diapers and no more leaks. I have also tried other brands but they just don't work for my son. Funny how each is different.
    honest diaper

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, they brighten my day.