06/01/2012

New Year Biscuits


I still feel excited that it's the start of a new year and the darkest days of winter are now behind us.  I tend to start looking forward to spring far too early, but I can't help it.  This morning I was cycling to work and it was beautifully sunny, the birds were chirping and I started mentally planning Eloise's birthday which isn't until March.  To celebrate 2012 E and I made biscuit dough yesterday and then when Z came back from school we cut out the shapes.  This morning I hung them from our window and even though I missed the morning sunshine by the time I got round to taking a photo they are still pretty.  I used the recipe below for the biscuits and you'll also need biscuit cutters (one large and one small) in whatever shape you like, we also made stars.  

Biscuit Recipe
175g  butter
200g sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
400g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 teaspoon salt.
Boiled sweets - separated by colour and bashed up!

Pre-heat oven to 180c or gas mark 4.
Cream the butter and sugar together then add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat.
Add the baking powder, flour and salt and mix with a wooden spoon.
Split into two balls and roll each ball out between two sheets of greaseproof paper - it should be about 5mm thick.  Place on a tray and leave in the fridge for at least 30mins.
Cut the dough using your large biscuit cutter and place on greaseproof paper on an oven tray. Use the small biscuit cutter to cut a shape from the centre of each biscuit.  Remember to add holes to hang the biscuit (I used a straw)
Place in the oven for 5 minutes.  I then removed the biscuits and re-shaped using the biscuit cutters (I found the biscuit had puffed up a bit so this helped the cut-out centre keep it's shape).  
Now add the crushed sweets to the cut-out centre of each biscuit.  You can use one colour or multi-coloured.
Bake for another 10 minutes and then remove from the oven and leave to cool.  
If the sweets stick to the paper you can scrape it off quite easily with a hot knife.

8 comments:

  1. Wow they are big biscuits, I didn't realise the scale, but next to Z on the tray they look big. YUM! Happy New year lovely people! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so nice (and yummy!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year!! Have you gobbled up the biscuits yet? They wouldn't last long around here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent idea, C ! They look amazing catching the winter light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So simple and really lovely! Bet you and Z had so much fun making them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another wonderful idea, C! Just wanted to let you know that I've given your blog an award for being so brilliant. See my blog for the details. Love. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, they're cute. Can't wait to be able to do these sort of crafts with our baby xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, they brighten my day.